Green Map
Welcome to the Jerusalem Green Map!
Sustainable Jerusalem Teva
Subject : Neighb.:
NO TRANSLATION
Suggest  a new site
Nature
Sustainable Living
Culture & Society
Amphibian Habitat
Water Feature
Special Tree
Special Garden
Spring Blossoms
Insect Watching Site
Public Forest / Natural Area
Natural Corridor
Park/ Recreation Area
Bird & Wildlife Watching
Open Space
Scenic Vista
Dog Run
Community Garden
Compost Site
Public Transportation
Organic/ Local Food
Scientific Research Site
Bicycle Shop
Reuse Shop/Market
Healthy Dining
Eco Products
Recycling
Cultural Site
Community Center
Eco Information
Eco Organization
Significant Organization
Green School
Online Resource
Public Library
Museum
Social Service
Historical Feature
Image In Stone
Historical Feature
Previous
Next
Map

Marienstift Hospital

One of the first medical institutions in Israel and among the first of its kind in the world, the Marienstift Children’s Hospital was founded in the late 1870’s by German physician and pediatric surgeon, Dr. Max Sandreczky. Until the mid 19th century, there had not been a single resident physician in the Holy Land. However, by the 1st World War, several hospitals were already established in Jerusalem. The standards of medical practice in the Marienstift hospital not only compared favorably with those in Western Europe, but in certain aspects they were more advanced. In addition to the treatment of a variety of diseases common at the time such as malaria, trachoma, leprosy and rheumatic fever, Dr. Sandreczky also considered the psychological aspects of his young patients, providing them with toys and occupational therapy. He also instituted rooming-in for mothers. The landmark building has been renovated and restored. It currently houses an eye clinic and includes an historic display of its original function as the first children's hospital in the Middle East.

City Center
29 Rehov Haneviim
All rights reserved
designed by Studio karamel   |  developed by entry