Green Map
Welcome to the Jerusalem Green Map!
Sustainable Jerusalem Teva
Subject : Neighb.:
NO TRANSLATION
Suggest  a new site
Nature
Sustainable Living
Culture & Society
Amphibian Habitat
Water Feature
Special Tree
Special Garden
Spring Blossoms
Insect Watching Site
Public Forest / Natural Area
Natural Corridor
Park/ Recreation Area
Bird & Wildlife Watching
Open Space
Scenic Vista
Dog Run
Community Garden
Compost Site
Public Transportation
Organic/ Local Food
Scientific Research Site
Bicycle Shop
Reuse Shop/Market
Healthy Dining
Eco Products
Recycling
Cultural Site
Community Center
Eco Information
Eco Organization
Significant Organization
Green School
Online Resource
Public Library
Museum
Social Service
Historical Feature
Image In Stone
Historical Feature
Previous
Next
Map

Syrian Orphanage (Shneller)

The Syrian Orphanage is one of the most famous architectural compounds in Jerusalem. Founded in 1860 by Johann Ludwig Schneller, a Lutheran missionary, it operated as an orphanage until World War II. Located on Malchei Yisrael Street in central Jerusalem, it became a British military base in WWII known as Camp Schneller. After 1948, the compound housed offices of the Israel Defense Forces. The army moved out in November 2008. The site includes eight buildings: the Shneller homestead - the first family residence to be built outside the Old City walls; the Inspector’s House, which served as the residence of Theodor Shneller, head of the orphanage; a home for he blind - the first school for the blind in Israel; a workshop area - the sole surviving heavy industrial complex established by the Germans at the Schneller compound; the Red House - the first red brick house in Jerusalem; the turret - a luxury building constructed in the grand German country style as housing for the factory managers; an apprentices house; and home for orphaned girls.

Makor Baruch
34 Malchei Yisrael St
All rights reserved
designed by Studio karamel   |  developed by entry