On the road to Jerusalem, in the center of the Mosa Valley and next to the synagogue of the colony, stands the historic Yellin House - the first house built in Motza in 1890. The house symbolizes the beginning of agricultural settlement in the Land of Israel. It was built by Yehoshua Yellin, the son of David Tavy Yellin, who purchased the land from the Arabs of Calonia, together with his father-in-law Yehezkel Yehuda in 1860. In 1890 Joshua built his private home behind the Khan that he built 20 years earlier and later became a synagogue. In addition, he planted a vineyard and an orchard, tried his hand at making shingles and purchased land to continue the settlement in Motza. These were the beginnings of agriculture, industry, and private enterprise in the Land of Israel, when the old Yishuv began to leave the borders of Jerusalem within the walls.
Join us in facebook
Suggest a new site
Is there someplace special that you'd like to see on the Jerusalem Green Map? Click here to send us details.