Green Map
Welcome to the Jerusalem Green Map!
Sustainable Jerusalem Teva
Subject : Neighb.:
NO TRANSLATION
Suggest  a new site
Nature
Sustainable Living
Culture & Society
Amphibian Habitat
Water Feature
Special Tree
Special Garden
Spring Blossoms
Insect Watching Site
Public Forest / Natural Area
Natural Corridor
Park/ Recreation Area
Bird & Wildlife Watching
Open Space
Scenic Vista
Dog Run
Community Garden
Compost Site
Public Transportation
Organic/ Local Food
Scientific Research Site
Bicycle Shop
Reuse Shop/Market
Healthy Dining
Eco Products
Recycling
Cultural Site
Community Center
Eco Information
Eco Organization
Significant Organization
Green School
Online Resource
Public Library
Museum
Social Service
Historical Feature
Image In Stone
Museum
Next
Map

Underground Prisoners Museum

      Located in the Russian Compound north of Jerusalem's bustling downtown, the museum is situated in the original Mandatory building which housed the prisoner’s cells, dungeons, gallows, synagogue, workshops and service rooms. The long, low stone building was initially constructed in the 1800’s as lodging for Russian women. During the British Mandate period, the shelter was converted into a prison for members of the pre-state Jewish underground militias: the Hagana, the Irgun (Etzel) and the Lehi who were captured and incarcerated during operations against the government. Some of them were hanged there and their cells have been preserved exactly the way they were, with original artifacts and documents detailing life behind bars during the Mandate.

Russian Compound
Mish'ol HaGevura 1
Phone: 02-6233166
All rights reserved
designed by Studio karamel   |  developed by entry