Green Map
Welcome to the Jerusalem Green Map!
Sustainable Jerusalem Teva
Subject : Neighb.:
NO TRANSLATION
Suggest  a new site
Nature
Sustainable Living
Culture & Society
Amphibian Habitat
Water Feature
Special Tree
Special Garden
Spring Blossoms
Insect Watching Site
Public Forest / Natural Area
Natural Corridor
Park/ Recreation Area
Bird & Wildlife Watching
Open Space
Scenic Vista
Dog Run
Community Garden
Compost Site
Public Transportation
Organic/ Local Food
Scientific Research Site
Bicycle Shop
Reuse Shop/Market
Healthy Dining
Eco Products
Recycling
Cultural Site
Community Center
Eco Information
Eco Organization
Significant Organization
Green School
Online Resource
Public Library
Museum
Social Service
Historical Feature
Image In Stone
Historical Feature
Previous
Next
Map

Italian Hospital

One of the most impressive buildings on the Street of the Prophets (Hanevi’im St.), the Italian hospital was built in the late Ottoman period between the years 1913 and 1917. It is currently undergoing major renovation and restoration by conservation architect Gobi Curtis. The renaissance style building, with gothic details and a bell tower, strongly resembles the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy. Its grand style testifies to the fierce competition among the different powers that comprised the Ottoman Empire, which was religious in nature and therefore concentrated mainly in establishing religious and charity organizations in Jerusalem. During World War II it served as headquarters of the British Air Force and as a military hospital. Since 1963 it has been occupied by the Ministry of Education.

City Center
29 Shivtei Yisrael St., corner of Hanevi'im St. 9
All rights reserved
designed by Studio karamel   |  developed by entry